Flight Details:
Air Canada AC 007
Vancouver – Hong Kong
Pre-flight:
When Debbie and I reached the airport at 10am sharp, I was shocked to see that my flight was at 1350 instead of 1425 when I booked it. We checked in and then ambled around, ate and sat around talking. Met up with Amos who was on Debbie’s flight, and also Christina! And some guy from Vanier whom I don’t know (but I recognise him). And a handful of Singlish-speaking people apparently also from UBC and Christina knows them and they just started introducing themselves. Why wasn’t there someone I know on my own flight?! Their gate and my gate were pretty nearby so I stuck around until I had to board then I hurried over LOL.
On-flight:
I was lucky enough to get an aisle seat, since rude AC staff just plonked down my boarding pass and passport without asking me what kind of seats I wanted. I didn’t realise until later that she had given me a window seat instead of the aisle one that I had initially requested when booking my ticket.
(From this part onwards, everything was handwritten by me on the plane and some grammar was edited.)
3:15pm – Drinks and Snacks
Next to me is an arrogant guy who thinks he’s the expert when it comes to flying. Starts by retorting in Cantonese “Wah, why bring so many biscuits on board? Scared nothing to eat ar?” [Note: I was bringing back the leftover cookies Debbie and I couldn’t finish..] We break into random conversation.
How to describe? One word: COCKY. I’ve never met anyone cockier than this! He keeps bragging how he flies so much and complaining how much Air Canada (AC) sucks, claiming he is on this flight only to accumulate air miles. Freshly graduated from York U, I shall keep him anonymous unless he tracks me down. While taking off he says he dislikes light and you know I like looking out when we are taking off, so he acts all generous and lets me look out the window.
He is sleeping soundly with a Samsonite eye mask as I scribble away here. Let’s see how this turns out. Okay it’s 3:30pm (only 15 minutes after snacks) and they are serving a hot meal already?! Geez he just woke up. [After eating, I resumed writing.] Yea, so he woke up and I had to stop writing. Because some flight attendants were yelling at something. Oh yes speaking of that I recognized the William Hung look-alike round flight attendant from last year.. And back to Mr Cocky – he was offering me a Chinese newspaper and I politely decline, so he goes on to read. He stretches his arm over the shared armrest and he doesn’t care if we bump into each other. It wasn’t as bad as it sounds but I am kinda sensitive about things like that, especially with strangers.
4:23pm – Extremely bored
We have been in flight for (only) 2 hours!! Food is finished and we had ketchup chicken breast, a disgusting, plastic-tasting goop of (most probably instant) mashed potatoes and several miserable morsels of corn and peas. There was a beet salad which looked bloody (didn’t dare touch it) and a nice blueberry cake.
I was nagged to put on my seatbelt twice even though the seatbelt sign was off. I feel like grandmas are serving me on the flight. Seriously, the middle-aged men are easier on the eyes. Anyway after eating, Mr Cocky went to the washroom and stood in the aisle before coming back, so I perched on the armrest between our seats in an effort to stretch my legs and it was a funny sight.
Now he’s happy sleeping while I am extremely tempted to take a picture of his cocky face, half-covered by the eye mask. [Oh I did end up taking one, not a very good one though.] I’m bored. Maybe I’ll sleep too. And it’s only been what, 2 hours?! 11 more to go =.= AC is lousy. No writing paper. I should have known better and bring my own. Now I’m writing on the inside of a (clean) puke bag.
Oh we had more random conversations after eating.. Like about his CA$600 Tiffany gold ring on his 4th finger on his left hand. It was moving loosely about and I asked him, “Aren’t you afraid you’ll lose it?” And he said, “Oh, it’s only 600 bucks! I’ll just get another one!” And he was saying how he likes to spend $500 gambling in casinos.. And he keeps whining about AC and dissing them, and I’m like, why are you even here then? Let me just toss you out the window and I can have 2 seats to myself =) As you can tell I’m irked, just a tad.